Friday, September 13, 2013

My Experience Communicating With an Internet Business

I have had one experience with an internet business that clearly stands out in my mind aside from all others. About three years ago I was shopping around online to buy a "folding bike". These are the types of bikes if you've seen them that usually have a hinge in the middle of the frame that allows the bike to be folded in half basically for a lot more convient storage in cars, boats, airplanes etc. When I finally found one I thought was the best I could get for the money I could spend I purchased it and had it shipped to my house. WHen it arrived I had to do some minor assembly and adjustments and it should have been good to go. Only problem was there was a rubber gasket beneath the handlebars that had come torn and so I needed to have a new one sent to me some how. When I contacted the maufacturer be phone he said it sounded very strange that that part would fail and at the same time said he wasn't sure what part that was and I would have to take the bike apart to get out the broken peice and mail it back to him before he could send me out a new one. I refused because I didn't want to have to buy tools to take it a part and pay to ship it back when I knew he could easily figure the rubber part I needed by the description. A few heated phone calls and the wrong part getting sent out multiple times made it such a headache I wished there had been a place to leave some feedback about my experience that would have definitely helped me to feel better from the experience and perhaps curtailed the attitude of a business that felt no obligation to help make anything right with its customer. I won't say the name of the company to be polite but I will mention that I just checked out there website before writing this and they still do not feature any links to any form of social media to connect you to their brand or products. Not suprising, perhaps the less potential to leave customer feedback about them the better it works for them. I think that social media helps to stimulate and direct the flow of honest fair and predictable commerce.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, David. This is such a frustrating situation that we've all been in at some point. When I made my post, I hadn't read the intro or the first chapter of the second book. After reading it, I think this is exactly the kind of situation the book is referring to. Perhaps this company is reluctant to utilize a social media platform because they know that they have poor customer service and a social media page would make them more accountable for their actions. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree with Manuel on this one. I understand your frustration. Have you tried to google the company reviews??? I'm wondering if there is a forum for fellow cycle enthusiasts?

    Anyway happy riding!

    Mella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a bummer situation! Sounds like that company could use some new customer service representatives!

    I also agree with Manuel that the company is hiding from their shoddy actions, especially if this is a consistent issue. I would totally report them to the BBB!

    ReplyDelete